Prague Twin

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Portugal

I spent two weeks in Portugal. I highly recommend it for a middle of the road tourist experience. Not touristy at all, but plenty to see and do. Not too expensive, good weather, nice beaches...

They say a picture tells a thousand words, so here is 9,000 words and change coming at you.





On out first day we went to the castle in Sintra just outside of Lisboa. This shot was taken from the moorish ruin that is nearby. The castle is a special one in that it is a strange blend of European and Middle Eastern styles.....
















These arches are a good example of the somewhat strange mix.


















Tile is very important in Portugal and the castle was no exception.













One day we took the local Sintra tram. Bit of a rough ride, but fun.




















When we were in Lisbon, I saw some of the same stonework as in Prague. You can't tell from the photo, but in real life, this stonework creates an optical illusion of depth.













We took this giant elevator up....




















And had a look over Lisbon.





















We also went to the walled city of Obidos which is built completely within a castle wall.


















And why would there be a castle wall if there wasn't a castle?








Sorry about any formatting problems. I'm not very good at this sort of thing. The good news is that I'm all out of vacation time so I will probably be staying put for a few months at least. Wait, did I say that was good news?

6 Comments:

  • and not a word about the glorious food!

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 11:48 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 8:06 AM  

  • Wow - I love that first picture!

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 4:13 PM  

  • Oh they are so beautiful..your a very good photog Mike..thanks for finally sharing some of your vacation..My father got to spend a week in Portugal and was totally taken by the different styles of architecture as you also mentioned..I love it.

    My first husband was Portugese..I have always wanted to go there.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:50 PM  

  • I have to give credit to my wife for most of these shots, although some are also from our friends and my brother in-law. I did take that first one though.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 12:15 AM  

  • Re formatting: See that little tab that says "Compose? Next to it is a tab that says "Edit HTML" click on that and take out some of those combinations which show up as br and /br." They are both enclosed in a pair of brackets <>. The brs come in pairs, and the second part of the pair is /br. That will close up your space. Love the pics!

    By Blogger Publia, at 6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home