Prague Twin

Friday, May 04, 2007

Extremely Rare Sports Post

It has been a long, hard slog being a Warriors fan. But today, I have to say, it has been worth it. Last night, the Warriors eliminated the Dallas Mavericks becoming only the third 8th seed team to advance to the second round in NBA history.

Dallas with its 67-15 (by far the best in the NBA) was widely expected to win the title this year behind its leader Dirk Nowitzki who is generally considered the top MVP candidate.

After 13 years without a post-season, the Warriors made the playoffs on the last game of the season after winning 11 of their last 15 games and five strait down the stretch. The key moment in the season was when coach Don Nelson engineered a huge trade which brought Stephen Jackson and Al Harington to the Warriors and sent Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy to Indiana.

Indiana finished well out of the playoff hunt in the much weaker Eastern conference.

6 Comments:

  • the playoffs are really turning out nicely. I am excited for Phoenix vs San antonio.

    By Blogger Graeme, at 6:39 PM  

  • That should be a great series. I think the Warriors have a chance to move on to the western finals. However, they can't beat San Antonio. Phoenix is another story. I've seen the Warriors eat them up this season.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 8:43 AM  

  • This post is a little late, sorry. It should be no surprise that the Warriors dominated the Mavs. Besides having their number in the regular season, the Mavs lack someone to lead them. They clawed their way to the Finals last year behind random, stellar performances from mostly role players. This year those performances were nonexistant, as was any sign of the regular season MVP form of Dirk. The NBA can be divided into two seasons, the regular season and the playoffs. When the playoffs start, each team is expected to find a totally new intensity in which to ride through the last grueling two months of the season. The Mavs thought they could coast the wave of the playoffs like they did in the regular season. But then the wave got more intense, and that was that.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:21 PM  

  • 10 years in this miserable basketball black-hole. Now...finally...something to cheer about. GO WARRIORS!

    Now on to crush Utah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 PM  

  • Surprised to hear your a Warriors fan...they are so rare. I was one too simply because I lived just down the road from them in San Jose for most of my life. Also a Raiders, 49ers, Giants, A's, Sharks fan ofcourse. Since moving to Singapore and not getting these games on TV I have lost touch I'm afraid. Are you from the Bay Area Mike?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 PM  

  • Fonduta,

    How can you call Nowitzki and Terry "random role players?" Maybe I'm reading your post wrong.

    Hey, you and I might have seen it coming, but I assure you most of the world did not.

    Kvatch,

    Lost a close one in Utah. Oh well, at least it shows it isn't going to be easy.

    Brian,

    Yep, raised in Sonoma county. We pretty much have the same teams, but I dumped the niners after all the bandwagoning. I have to admit, I never liked them much to begin with, so "dumping" isn't really accurate. I thought it would be disingenuous to tag along when everyone jumped on board.

    The Raiders, however, used to train in Santa Rosa and my mom knew many of them personally, including John Madden. I had dinner with the whole team when I was 9 in a private banquet room. Just me and the Raiders. If that doesn't make you a fan for life, I don't know what will.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home