Prague Twin

Monday, October 30, 2006

Flu Vaccine Subsidy

I was at the doctor's office today and I noticed some people getting flu shots. I remembered that last year the docotor's offices were flooded with people wanting flu shots for fear of getting bird flu. I suddenly realized that I hadn't seen a single thing about bird flu in months....until just now.

This is a typical panic piece that the media love to run at the right time. I guess some higher-up at Reuter's had the same thing cross his mind when he was getting his flu shot and said, "Hey! Get me something on bird flu! Make sure it looks current and instils fear!"

H5N1 strain could start wave of bird flu outbreaks

The article goes on to say that..."Scientists in Hong Kong and the United States have detected a new strain of H5N1 bird flu virus in China..." (emphasis added). This "new" strain was discovered in March of 2005. It has been seen increasingly since October 2005.

Doesn't this seem like pretty dated information especially if we are talking about a "new" strain.

This is typical fearmongering, with the possibility that someone is sittling on a hell of a lot of extra flu vaccine and needs a little help unloading it.

Sorry Reuters, I don't put it past you.

4 Comments:

  • Well, that was only last years. It's not like news isn't new if it's from last year, right?
    ;-)

    That does seem a bit shoddy.

    By Blogger Mark, at 12:47 AM  

  • I got one flu shot in my life. That was back in the 70's. I think the Swine Flu was the threat at the time. I'd never had a case of the flu that made me as sick as that shot did. Since then if a doctor ask if I want a flu shot I tell him he can have mine. The whole flu shot idea is about money, it has nothing to do with protecting your health.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    By Blogger David Schantz, at 10:49 PM  

  • Interesting take.

    I never really thought it through, but I've never had a flu shot and I don't want one.

    Playing with fire if you ask me. Oh, I guess you found that out.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 11:13 PM  

  • Stephanie,

    I liked especially how they kept refering to October 2005, so if you are reading fast and assuming this is news, you might think it was October 2006.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home