Prague Twin

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Zuma is Back

I'm guessing not alot of you in the States have heard of the former Deputy President of South Africa, but exactly 24 hours after being acquitted of rape, he declares, "I'm back!"

He had stepped down from his position as deputy president of the African National Congress for the duration of the trial. The trial ended yesterday. Incidentally, the verdict announcement was the lead story for all the major European outlets. (There is no Duke rape case over here to get the blood flowing).

Zuma was accused of raping a family friend who is HIV positive. He claimed the sex was concentual. He was quoted as saying that while giving her a massage, he noticed she was aroused and his Zulu culture required that he have sex with her. If he refused, she would likely be insulted and accuse him of rape.

He testified that after sex, he took a shower to prevent contracting the HIV virus.

Despite this, there is significant support for this man. There were jubilant parades when he was found innocent (and a few protesters). He has a base that dates back to apartheid, and a chance to claim the presidency.

Technorati tag:

6 Comments:

  • My jaw dropped lower and lower as I read this post. I'm pretty cynical, but this is one horrifying tale.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 11:25 AM  

  • Dusty,

    Yea, and some of them plan to run entire nations.

    RBE,

    Crazy isn't it. The funny thing is that the shower comment is the thing that is getting the left really upset. Perpetuating myths and ignorance.

    And you though our leaders suck. Ha!

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 4:14 PM  

  • It's a good thing that HIV isn't a problem in South Africa. I mean how can it be a problem when a national political figure admits to having unprotected sex w/ a woman he knew was HIV positive. It's OK though, he showered afterward.

    Meanwhile, the Duke story is not going to be popular abroad but has everything to keep it in the public eye in the States: sex; race; class; athletes; and politics.

    I am pleased to report that the JV HS lacrosse team of which I was an assistant coach, finished 10-4 last week. This was my first year w/ the team. Last year they went 0-15.

    Cheers

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 PM  

  • Hey Tony! Welcome!

    A 25% infection rate is not that bad. Zuma is doing all he can to raise awareness. I guess what struck me is that if HE doesn't even know, how do they expect an average citizen to be educated on the subject. It's depressing to think about how far there is to go.

    I coached American Football (that is what they call it here to avoid confusion) one year, and the team made some improvements. I was just the defensive co-ordinator, but it was very satisfying.

    Nice work. That is a huge turnaround. Good feeling huh?

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 6:54 PM  

  • M.

    If you give me an email address--send to asokolow@asokolow.com--I will send you my diary of the past 11 weeks w/ the proviso that you never publish or disclose any of it. If you do, I might be banned for life.

    VTY

    T

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 AM  

  • Hi Mike, agreed, expats should support each other. On my blog roll, Mark Ashy and Singapore Adventure (Venitha) are both American expats here in singapore, and Cold Goat Eyes is one in Taiwan. I'm from Calif, so not a snow person. Enjoy the tropics of Asia. Will be checking in from thime to time.

    By Blogger expatbrian, at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home