Prague Twin

Monday, July 10, 2006

Jefferson Raid Upheld

The Washington Post reports...

Chief U.S. District Judge Thomas F. Hogan said members of Congress are not above the law. He rejected requests from lawmakers and Democratic Rep. William Jefferson to return material seized by the FBI in a May 20-21 search of Jefferson's office.

What interests me about this case is that Bush is trying to shield Jefferson, who is a Democrat. Is he afraid that the Jefferson case is going to reveal things about his friends, or are his attempts to create immunity for Congress members motivated by the Abramoff case and the others that are sure to follow?

I am also a big fan of the rule of law being applied evenly to everyone. This quote made me smile...

Hogan acknowledged the "unprecedented" nature of the case but said "a Member of Congress is generally bound to the operation of the criminal laws as are ordinary persons."

Music to my ears.

9 Comments:

  • TY PT, I missed that one. I'll run off now and it it to my Jefferson files.

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 12:39 AM  

  • Probably not that significant. The real test will be on appeal. Had it gone the other way it would have been a huge story.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 1:40 AM  

  • All grist for the mill for the corruption site.
    WE might start getting a few more flurries now - a newsman's dream :)

    By Blogger Cartledge, at 2:42 AM  

  • Speaking of 'above the law', I would sure love to see those confiscated taples the FBI took on 9/11.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM  

  • Not above the law, I'm glad they cleared that up, now I hope they don't forget or change it.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    By Blogger David Schantz, at 11:08 AM  

  • Any comment from Denny Hastert on the matter?

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 11:51 AM  

  • C,

    Yea it seems like things are heating up accross the board. Maybe it is just summer.

    Romunov,

    Welcome. I would be tickled pink to see those, especially of the plane that hit the pentagon.

    David, we can only hope.

    RBE,

    I haven't heard anything yet.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 12:15 PM  

  • PT

    They released the tape of the plane hittng the Pentagon.

    Are you still thinking that 9/11 was an inside job?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:44 PM  

  • No, I just think that we should all be able to see the other tapes (i.e. all of the surveilence camera tapes that the FBI went around a collected from gas stations and such in the area.)

    I am aware that they released the one tape of the plane actually crashing into the building.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home