Prague Twin

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

ISG Report in Hand

"Okay, I've got it. Now, what am I supposed to do with it?"

Or, "You must be joking me! Talk with Iran and Syria?"

Or, "I didn't have time to read the whole thing, so I just read the back cover."



UPDATE: Now that I have seen the press conference, or at least most of it, there were two things that struck me as very significant.

First, the idea that this is a comprehensive and realistic assesment and series of recomendations. Viable goals are outlined, but picking and choosing probably won't acheive success.

Second, the idea of talking to your enemies was defended by James Baker III in the following way. He said that we talked to the Soviet Union when they were clearly committed to wiping us off the face of the planet. You could see that he took great satisfaction in making this point. I'm sure he didn't much enjoy talking to those "commie bastards", leaders of the "evil empire" back in the 80s, but he is pragmatic enough to understand that it was in the nation's best interest.

If nothing else, President Bush has been quite childish in this regard. Even the most novice diplomat knows that you talk to your friends as well as your enemies.

ISG Report

6 Comments:

  • PT

    Do you wholly endorse the report?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

  • It is 140 pages long. I'm about half way finished with it, taking notes.

    You will have to wait until at least tomorrow for my answer, but I like what I see so far.

    You can download it here.

    Enjoy!

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 8:07 PM  

  • Somebody READ IT TO HIM! After all this is the guy whow regards "My Pet Goat," and "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" as literature.

    By Blogger NEWSGUY, at 8:28 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • "We paid how much for this?"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • Newsguy,

    I think the "book on tape" version comes out sometime soon.

    Kvatch,

    I don't actually know, but it couldn't have cost more than a day or two over operations in Iraq. Well worth it at twice the price.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home