Prague Twin

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Vilnius: First Impression



Here is the building we are staying from the outside. You can see a single balcony which is ours. The shop on the ground floor is a lovely little cafe. The waitresses wear knee-socks.


















Here you see the view from the balcony down the street. We are situated right in the heart of old town. It is pretty nice.















One of the things you notice right away when you come to Vilnius is that busking is very popular. The lady shown here is actually quite good (and not bad looking). But some of the young kids are terrible. There is a clarinet player that knows about 3 songs (sort of). "Yesterday," "Strangers in the Night," and a local song that people seem to know. At least the last one he plays reasonably well, but if I have to listen to him massacre strangers in the night one more time, I might go mad.


So far I'm really enjoying it here. It is very calm and unpretentious. The women are outstandingly beautiful (and remember, I live in Prague). Prices are quite reasonable, and although the service seems a bit indifferent, it certainly isn't hostile. Hey, it is Eastern Europe after all: what do you expect?

Postscript: Click on photos for full-size hi-res.

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Sounds good to me. I'm very glad Latvia, etc. are out from under the unsubtle thumb of the no longer extant USSR. Have a good time.

    By Blogger Roger Fraley, at 4:01 PM  

  • Um, I think this post answered the question I asked in your previous post. You must be on vacation!

    Busking. I never heard that term before, but I have mixed feelings about busking. My husband and I traveled to Italy a few years ago and I enjoyed the musicians and singers around Florence, but Rome was a nightmare. They were rude and forceful and acted more like beggars than artisans.

    Anyway, again, thanks for the pics. Keep them coming!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 8:17 PM  

  • Looks like it's shaping up to be a rather pleasant adventure. Have a great visit and keep those lovely pix coming!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 AM  

  • Interesting post and pictures. The Baltic countries have always sounded like a place I'd like to visit.

    Who Hijacked Our Country

    By Blogger Tom Harper, at 9:27 AM  

  • Very cool.

    By Blogger Jeb Koogler, at 5:13 PM  

  • I am enjoying all your pictures and am looking forward to more when you get a fast-enough connection. How is the public transportation? Can you travel by train from city to city fast enough? What if you only can speak Romance languages (well, along with English)? Aside from applauding the downfall of Eastern Europe, I think we in the US should probably consider spending some tourist $$$ there.

    By Blogger Publia, at 9:57 PM  

  • Publia,

    Public transportation is mostly buses. It certainly isn't as good as Prague, but like anywhere in Eastern Europe, you can get anywhere with a little patience.

    English has been working pretty well, but this language is so bizarre that not even my Czech helps. Other romance languages will help you not.

    They could certainly use the tourist $... and those $s will go a lot further than in western Europe.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 6:59 AM  

  • Been thinking about traveling to the Baltics with the Frogette for a while now. Great pictures...making me think I should plan that sooner rather than later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 PM  

  • Indeed.

    Don't wait. It reminds me of Prague a decade ago. More pictures and descriptions coming.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home