Prague Twin

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Issue(s) that Won't Go Away

Now that Russia has declared that the Czech plans to host an American/Nato missile defense radar system are a "big mistake", it is hard to ignore the significance. I've talked about this many times as this is clearly the local issue here that garners the most international attention.

To review, a majority of Czechs oppose this plan, according to polls. However, the most respected Czech, our former president, Vaclav Havel not only supports it, but went so far as to sign a petition in support of the plan.

One of the most convincing arguments in support of the plan which I came up with myself but also heard echoed by a villager on television is this: "The communists are against it, so therefore I'm for it." That seems pretty logical.

But in any case, this is an issue with many dimensions and pitfalls and solutions are not forthcoming with ease. I'd be very pleased to hear your thoughts on this.

P.S. I'm very sorry for not getting back to your very thoughtful comments. Rest assured that I'm reading them and I appreciate them very much. I simply haven't time to keep up with them or with regular blogging.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • I believe you will find a lot of support for installation just for the reason the villager stated; if the communists don't want it there, then all free minded people should want it there. All political posturing aside I still believe having the system elevates the status of the Czech Republic to a nation who must be protected. Frankly, if Havel supports it, then I know I'm making the right choice in supporting it, also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:30 AM  

  • It would be better to have it and never use it (as we did with our entire nuclear arsenal 1946 to the present (testing not included)) than need it but unfortunately neglected to build it.

    By Blogger Roger Fraley, at 1:31 AM  

  • it is very strange. they seem to be trying to start the cold war anew

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home