Prague Twin

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Diplomatic License

A few months back CNN cancelled Diplomatic License (I'd offer a link, but CNN has expunged them from their website). As you may know, this show was hosted Richard Roth, and it was a weekly wrap-up of events at the UN. I used to enjoy watching the show quite a bit because it was content heavy. I was pretty upset when CNN cancelled it, and Richard mentioned on the final broadcast that if viewers had an opinion about it, they could write in. In fit of rage, this is what I wrote.

To Whom it May Concern:

I have just learned that Diplomatic License is to be
cancelled. Although I can't say I am surprised, I am
quite disappointed. I suppose that any show that has
actual content is in danger of being cancelled as we
move further and further away from any real substance
in television media.

However, I can't help but to wonder if the problem is
not that people do not want substance, or if the
television media itself has trained the public not to
accept substance as something desirable.

If the latter is in anyway true, then CNN has in fact
done more to keep the public uninformed than to
enlighten the people. If this trend continues, soon
there will be nothing of substance on CNN whatsover,
and instead of informing the public (which ostesibly
is your goal) you will in fact help keep the masses
underiformed and thus powerless.

Congratulations. You must be very proud.


I had pretty much forgotten about the letter right after I sent it out, but Richard sent me a response back this week, so I got to read my words again. I just thought it was interesting how sometimes rage helps me express myself clearly.

The response was pretty much a form letter, but I got the sense that he actually read the letter and liked it. Here is what he had to say...
Dear Michael,

Love the email. I wanted to thank you for your kind note. What can I
say? They killed us the next week. Its not the same to be at the UN and
my future is murky.
My small team offers thanks to support from viewers like you.
Regards
Richard Roth


Sounds like I at least brought a smile to his face.

6 Comments:

  • aw..thats so sad :( But he did appreciate it..and your feelings did come through I would say,very well.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:05 PM  

  • Very kind of you to send that note. I'm sure he was sincere. A show about the UN? What, was the radio coverage of the League of Nations off the air as well?

    By Blogger Roger Fraley, at 1:55 AM  

  • Thanks a lot dusty. I thought it was sad too.

    I realized, however, that it was less about the content than the actual subject matter. DL going down is like a canary in a cole mine.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 9:09 AM  

  • Good for you!

    By Blogger Mark, at 9:50 AM  

  • I've given up on watching TV, there's nothing there anymore. I get more out of reading sites like yours. Good job.

    God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

    By Blogger David Schantz, at 8:20 PM  

  • I like to compliment people in the media who I enjoy watching/listening to. I often send thanks to Olbermann, Shuster, Zakaria, and a few others. I wished Helen Thomas a happy birthday a while back and got a brief reply from her. That was pretty cool too.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home