Prague Twin

Thursday, April 12, 2007

So It Goes


Now that I've stolen the title of my post from several others who stole their title from the man himself, I'm going to pay tribute to the late, great Kurt Vonnegut Jr. with links to all my fellow bloggers who were kind enough to beat me to the punch.

Swerve Left has a very good clip from A Man Without a Country which contains his favorite joke, which he hoped would be used after his death. How could I let down Mr. Vonnegut? I hope he is in heaven. (laugh, tear).

Blognonymous, wishes he could have met the man. Libby Spencer did meet him. (Very touching story)

Frederick has a picture tribute worth looking at, and Dusty pays tribute with her well selected words.

Reality-based Educator quotes a dire poem and Expatbrian must be psychic. If you read thepoem that Reality-based Educator quoted, and then click on the world gone mad link, it is almost creepy considering that Brian posted before Mr. Vonnegut passed away.

I just want to say this: we could all learn a lot about being human from this very, very great man. I am sad that he is no longer with us..... I sure do hope he is in Heaven. (laugh, no tear this time).




10 Comments:

  • I missed the news of his passing until this morning. I was somehow inspired two days ago on the endangered list topic. Like Libby, I am a child of the 60,s, a very spiritual time, so who knows. In any case, thanks for the mention.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 PM  

  • I liked his early books very much--the later ones, not so much. The idea of Ice Nine is, however, brilliant and useful to explain Mad Cow Disease et al. RIP indeed.

    By Blogger Roger Fraley, at 1:13 AM  

  • Hey praguetwin, thanks for stopping by. Yup, I used to be The Radio Boys in Yucca Valley, but I changed the name to reflect the upcoming political season. I'll add you to my links. BTW, Kurt Vonnegut, a national treasure. He's our generation's Mark Twain.

    By Blogger NEWSGUY, at 1:24 AM  

  • Thanks for the linkage. I saw an Idea somewhere yesterday, seemed appealing. We should all clean out the book stores of the old paperback copies of Kurt's books...and hand them out to the dead souls they call todays youth.

    By Blogger Frederick, at 9:19 PM  

  • He was one of the greats. I loved Sirens of Titan, Slaughterhouse Five (the movie was excellent too), Breakfast of Champions...

    I haven't read any of his recent books; I think the last one I read was the one where he kept saying Hi Ho. I'll probably end up reading the rest of his works.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:17 AM  

  • The last time I saw Vonnegut in public was on an appearance he made on The Daily Show. I think it might have been last summer. He was very funny, very human.

    Another memory is the brilliant turn he made in Rodney Dangerfield's Back To School where Rodney's billionaire character hires Vonnegut to write a term paper on Vonnegut, then gets fired for getting a low grade on it.

    Good stuff. I like people who can laugh at themselves like that.

    By Blogger Reality-Based Educator, at 1:28 AM  

  • Brian,

    Yeah, who knows, I just thought it was quite a coincidence.

    Roger,

    I always liked Breakfast of Champions which didn't get much mention.

    Newsguy,

    Nice to reconnect. Your up on my links.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 11:22 AM  

  • Frederick,

    You are welcome. Sounds like a good plan except for one thing: I doubt they would take their eyes off MTV long enough to actually read them. What a waste of good paperbacks.

    Tom,

    I never read "Sirens". Breakfast of Champions I actually read twice, which is a really rare thing for me (I think Catch 22 is the only other that has that distinction for me).

    I wonder how much his sales will increase in the coming weeks.

    RBE,

    Yeah, he sure could laugh at himself, and society. A truly rare, honest man.

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 11:26 AM  

  • Praguetwin... Sorry I'm late in getting back to your post. I've been traveling and my connection has been spotty.

    Many thanks for the mention.

    I'm now thinking of reading Vonnegut's last collection of essays, perhaps a good way to celebrate his life.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:27 PM  

  • No worries Kvatch,

    Your stopping by is always appreciated, whenever you have the time...

    By Blogger Praguetwin, at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home